Monday, May 28, 2007

starbz

It is a beautiful day outside.

Laying in a big field of grass and reading is a delight. I read Philippians today and I found a few highlights.

In 1:15-18 'ish Paul talks a little about how some people claim Christ out of envy or rivalry. How some people are claiming Christ, but really saying, "Hey check me out." Or maybe just doing it out of competition. Like who can convert people the best? I dunno, but 18 is great.

18What does it matter? Just this, that Christ is proclaimed in every way, whether out of false motives or true; and in that I rejoice.

It doesn't matter! Ha ha, owned. You can't prevent him from receiving glory and proclaim his name at the same time, no one is good enough. That made me chuckle.

This verse stuck out most when I read back over it in the NRSV translation. I checked the NRSV out because Mars Hill officially changed to it for studying/preaching and I respect Driscoll's opinion and I think it's a great translation. It is supposedly more of a "word-for-word" translation. Whereas the NIV, which I've pretty much heard for all my church years, is a "thought-for-thought" translation.

Anyway, Phil 2:14-15

14 Do all things without murmuring and arguing, 15so that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, in which you shine like stars in the world.

This speaks volumes to me because I am such a (hopefully recovering?) grumbler. Complain, whine, etc. But I just love how this translation says it. Shine like stars in the world. I love the thought of beaming like a star. What an impression we can make. What a wonderful change for the world to have people in it that put other's before themselves. I want to be that way.

The last snippet that jumped at me was chapter 4:4-9

4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. 6Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.

I love the attitude that is setup in 6 and 7. It's the perfect balance between being neurotic and slacking off completely. Don't worry, but pray constantly. Let the peace of Christ overwhelm you like a big hug. Be thankful! Don't absolutely try to unravel every little thing, but petition for what you know to be true and good.

8 and 9 discuss what seems obvious, but how often do we need this reminder? My mind wanders quite often into territory that are not these things. Lord help me to meditate on what is excellent instead.

I like that.

Back on the bike.

edit: fixed.

1 comment: